Monday, October 10, 2005

My unpretentious and convoluted insight into 2 years of stay in IIITM - Semester I

SEMESTER- I
Day 1- I was keyed up to the brim while boarding the Shatabdi Express. Mixed feelings were surfacing … one reminiscing me of my past in school and DCE… the other thrilling me towards whatever lay ahead in ABV-IIITM.
I was disappointed at the first stare across the campus but the, then Director, Mr D.P.Aggarwal was impressive. I felt I need to emulate his confidence and veracity.

Johney was the first person to whom I introduced myself, next was Ankit followed by the bunch in the hostel (remember meeting Raghavan, Jayant, Girraj, Sudhanshu…..).
Among the girls it was Vandana Mam initially, Anubha and Jyoti were the first from our batch.
Have fond memories of the first stroll with Dhruv, the guy radiated virtuosity throughout the chat. Left me uncertain as to how do I situate myself within this batch of pinnacle performers ?????

Ragging was never an apprehension, my precedent rendezvous helped me carry the flag through troubled waters without much ado…. of course the numerous stumbles are not ruled out.
The preeminent part was the approach with which our batchmates tried to establish intimacy (or sometimes distance themselves…) from each other in the earlier days.

It goes without saying that the first impression cast goes a long way… I could not help admiring people like Johney, Dhruv, Jayant, Ankit, Bharat, Nikhil, Marut, Anubha, Jyoti for the moderations in their conduct during the initial days ( I developed a predilection towards them ).

Next were the festivals starting with Parichay’2003 and Topa’2003…. Were fun!!!.
I state confidently that all hands will raise with unanimity with regards to the find of Topa’03- Ashutosh Uniyal, guy of immense brilliance and grasping power. Till date people exclaim that he does not do justice to his potential…. In the same breadth they are thankful for the same.

Pages kept turning while we got accustomed to the hostel life, method of study, ragging as well. Cricket, table tennis and badminton under lights were the highlights.
On the academic front, the gravity of many of my batchmates ….Marut, Bahri, Yogesh were stupendous springs of motivation for me. Ankit, Ashutosh and myself bought our PC’s after several rounds of consultations from our seniors.

All these accounted for the first three months….. ,meanwhile, Gwalior did not engross me by any means.

The cricket match between India and Australia has marked groovy recollections…. The cheering and the pail of slangs flinged on Symonds and Agarkar!!!!
The final month was by far most exciting- my team with Dhruv made it to the badminton finals but we were, sort of, comprehensively beaten by Prateek sir and Marut. No infamy in being packed down by a superior side. Memories of our official Freshers are still embossed on my grey cells.(….remember Uniyal having a tremendous bout of fever but still made it to the party, only to come back and fall unconscious on the bed….. another week off !!!!!).
We could finally walk hands on shoulders with our seniors, saying hi rather than good mornings and afternoons!!!!
Finally majors dawned, next memoir was myself leaving for home in Taj, eager to discuss the past semester with my soulmate(s) in Delhi.

Life is a mixed bag and likewise was this semester… I discuss the gashing moments now, which made ME vulnerable to rips and trips, CAN’T say about OTHERS…!!!!.
Would like to specially mention that the following are purely my sensitivities …….
NO pun intended, NO fun either..!! Please do not treat the following as themes for heated exchanges within the group.

--- The CR elections and the subsequent altercations with the seniors in the hostel seemed untoward to me. I’d like to quote the centre of attraction then-Alok- is indeed a man with a golden heart. It’s his stimulations which play the spoilsport. Keep a check on them mate and no one can stop you from escalating.

---The question papers episode still seems incongruous. No more comments!!!!

---I noticed guys took great pride in associating themselves with girls…. Looked down upon those who did not do so. People used to concoct their own stories pertaining to this topic, on many occasion I sensed the crocodile in the sea, nevertheless kept mum. The whole proposition seemed obtuse(the most decent word). I was always of the opinion that one spawns his identity at his own behest…. Arrogance due to companionship is nothing but perfidy. (Emotional support is a different issue….. cannot say about physical supports).

---My first visit to the GH turned out to be a bamboozle. Don’t exactly remember the occasion, anyways, let me quote Miss X’s (for obvious reasons) words for me and Dhawal who was alongside me then…..(I overheard her whispering to Miss Y !!!!)
(The English translation)
For Dhawal—he’s a cute guy, seems sane n smart. Don’t be fastidious, he looks like a long shot.
I expected something far more superlative n encouraging… BUT….

For Sanjeev—yeh to pehle din se hi apne liye ladki dhoond raha hain..
So blunt… so perilous… I was amazed how somebody could gather an impression without even talking to me. I thought Miss X possessed tremendous insight….perhaps came out of a dozen affairs.

That signifies the nail clippings for semester I … thank you for patiently reading my piece…. The other semesters follow in the subsequent mails..

7 comments:

desperado said...

first of all
welcome to the blog world

Cassanova--the name i gave u right
well i should clear the doubt that my giving you this name has nothing to do with your interaction with the girls
but its the aura n the ability to influence n charm others that u have

another one of ur trait:
getting big adjectives n synonyms for words from the back of your hand. I must admit that is a gr8 ability n was on full display when u compared in Parichay
and why no mention of you being crowned Mr.Fresher??

and interestin first visit to GH haan...lol
Alok episode blew out of proportions cause of our stupidity

and boy we have to win baddy this time....i.e. whenever the tournament resumes

welcome once again n brilliant post
waitin eagerly for the following semesters

teja said...

yes sanjeev that was good...
it would have been better if u could express the facts, that u thought abt us..
however that was good...

radiohead said...

yo !! welcome mitr.
i guess u missed out on few things ...

firstly, the MR. FRESHER stuff
and secondly our visit to WATER PARK .. i guess it was quite a fun.

the very first night i was here .. the night of special dinner .. i saw a guy .. standing among ankit & shudhanshu & was laughing like hell. U hav always been a laughing dude .. and the smiles good. keep laughing.

and abt the first GH visit ..hmm we nevr knew this till date. well its kind of weird.

ya the alok stuff was tooo bad. our stupidity as dhruv said.

neways nice post & yups waitng for subsequent semesters.

Sanjeev said...

@panwar
well..anuj sorry for missing out on the water park incident.. it really slipped out of my mind... but ya definiely one of the few exciting moments we boys spent as a whole bunch.. and the late night show in Manmandir..i suppose to watch SssHh.

@dhruv
thanks for your lively comments.... u made me think beyond the horizon for a moment with all the praise.. n mate am charged up for badminton as well... don't worry, now that you mentioned in your blogs that you hate losing in badminton.... we'll have a blast for sure.

johney said...

I love to read the things you write. They have so many hidden meanings tiny enough to hide among the big and huge words that you unsparingly use, but big enough for the tiny eyes which adorned my tiny face. Yes, I remember very vividly, that day where I first met you. I saw you mom and dad too.
I work with limited memory equipment. The cells in my body are subject to deterioration, to a process called aging, and somethings are not retained as clearly as I would have liked it otherwise.

I remember your face that day, but that face is not the face I see in you today. You were a different person during those first few days. I remember that you use to look down upon people. Ofcourse, you may have a totally different concept of what you were doing. And I see that you lust after ... I cannot say the word here. If you want to know, ask me in person. My tiny eyes sees many things unbidden. What I see, even the wise cannot always tell. And I saw the whole process of you fulfilling your 'lust' ( I say 'lust' and not 'desire' for very significant reason).

And it is as it should be. For what is a man without ambition. I saw the unfolding of the scafolds of life and vivacity in our batch. Quite spectacular was it that it was a special treat for my tiny eye( not eyes).

How fast a person can change? Quite fast! I will tell you. And you are the most agile of all in this field. Dhruv said it right: "the aura n the ability to influence n charm others that u have" and he compared you with Casanova ( which I do not agree. And I am sure Dhruv would not have called you that had he known the true stories of the said character ).

I noticed guys took great pride in associating themselves with girls…. Looked down upon those who did not do so.

Looked down? That is something the common man would not believe. Another mystery for you to fathom.

Arrogance due to companionship is nothing but perfidy
Is it? Arrogance is natural to humans, and they extract it from wherever they can, and what if they take it from companionship?

I could not help admiring people like Johney, Dhruv, Jayant, Ankit, Bharat, Nikhil, Marut, Anubha, Jyoti for the moderations in their conduct during the initial days.

In my case, it may be anything else but it was not moderation of conduct. It was being what I am. I am what I am and I do what I want. I will not go so far as to moderate my conduct, for to compromise on one's conduct is to sacrifice the freedom one has.

It always was my way, by instinct--ever to meet the brief with brevity, the direct with plainness and the. THe longer you write the longer will my comments on it be. So you are warned beforehand. Consider this before you write any more entries, for you may find my comments overwhelming. You have been warned.


A very arrfuly and very ingeniously written piece. Love to read more.

Anonymous said...

man once again u forced me to use dictionary!!!
a nice post nonetheless, made me think of the first semester,
all the fun we had.

i doubt that i will agree to u on Mr. DP Agarwal's veracity.

and yes i will be waiting for the badminton tournament
(will need to practice a lot man, else u guys will burn my ass, have really improved a lot
since the first sem).

ladki dhoondne wala incident, i guess that was rightly said by Miss X ( or was it Miss Y).

Anonymous said...

good work!!this entire concept of encapsulating the highs n lows of each sem of ur college life in blogs,seems quite intresting n engrossing..on top of that ur stylish way of writing in huge words(n big ones too) definitely makes it a treat to read ur blogs

well,dont rem much abt the first sem,whatevr u wrote..as far as my interaction with u is concerned(i dont even rem d first time v chatted)..but stil some incidents do have a mark in my memory. Like
parichay..wen u became mr.fresher(hey, u dint mention that)..that was d first time i came to know abt u:a guy whose a fab dancer,is from delhi..(n another peculiar thing abt which i'v written in the end)
n u forgot d stupid blind date kind of event that took place after a fortnight from parichay(done with a lot of fixing) that includes ur gh wala incident too..(though i dint noe about it until u told me)
ya the question papar drama before 2nd minor..it came along with a "black day",remembr???girls boycotting the boys(d guys thought so..)
well,its wasnt funny,but definitely kiddish..but as they say: u learn as u grow..so...

nice stuff u hv written there abt d CR elections..n hey whats topa??

were u there for the india-aus match??i thought u guys went home 4 diwali
n ya..there was another event towards the end of the sem,badminton doubles match,(tumne nahi likha :( ).u noe after losing the match i felt so sorry 4 u..dint even have d courage to face u
anywayz that was long long time back,now i know u..so its ok

chalo keep goin...

one last thing...during the first few months..there was only 1 thing i could associate u with(im talking abt d ragging time)..ur blue shirt n grey pants ;)