Friday, October 21, 2005

My Unpretentious and Convoluted Insight into two years of stay in IIITM - Semester-II

SEMESTER-II

We (Me, Akshay, Adi n others) boarded Taj early in the morning, but were late in reaching Gwalior because of dense fog enroute. Poor Shivanshu bore the lion’s share of the pulling each other’s leg affair…. He was even nomenclatured with his present addressals then.

We celebrated the New Year in Jaipur with few of our seniors. We put up at Rahul sir’s place where the hospitality was superlative. The dinner we had at Choki-Dhani was a treat beyond comparisons…….not only in terms of quantity, but also the inherent eminence involved in the process of serving a starving individual…… the calls of ‘ Padharo SA ‘, ‘Baitho SA’, ‘Thoda aur khao SA’, still find faint reverberations in my ears. We had a stupendous taste of Rajasthani food and hospitality at the same.

I was drawn into the Data Structures and Client-side scripting languages. Semester-I had its wedges of ‘Bakar’, however I liked to confine myself in my room remaining pre-occupied with academics or IT magazines.
Akshay, Uniyal, Ankur, Ankit made it a point to come over to my room almost daily, mocked the sudden alterations in my attitude. I gave them stupid replies—something like I consider it a waste of precious time even when it came to watching movies.
The seriousness lasted a month, I again got back to the old ways… only difference being I started spending appreciable time in the library. Nothing much happened during early and mid January, I reminisce myself as being a taciturn observer of the normal tide of events and exaggerated explanations of the same.

The festive epoch was soon to come….

The month of February, brought a surrear joy as me and Ankit won the Double Wicket Cricket Tournament (one of the few completed endeavors in IIITM….. I must say!!!)
Even now, I evoke the two overs when we garnered about 28 to 30 runs in EACH, Arvind Sir and Shivanshu being the unfortunate sufferers.

Subsequently, a blue streak of northern light showed upon the IIITM campus- the name was Aurora’04. Well!!! Don’t get cajoled by the narration ….. I remember the Chief Guest’s introductory statement… something synonymous with the following lines:-

“On this solemn occasion my memories go back to the days when I was one among you, and used to witness the inaugural ceremony of our college’s cultural event THOUGH
The number was far more then , than what’s visible right now….”

The three days of Aurora have marked groovy recollections of fun and fervidness, TRENDZ was consummate …. I danced both solo and group (as usual…..) by the way, I was one of the hot properties of IIITM then, as dancers are always appreciated in their respective first years, its only when I performed the same reiterated steps in the following years …. the student fraternity realized that I am game only for a handful.
Well!!! that’s how I’ll plead my case in the court of justifications.
However, the Mr. Aurora contest infused within me the poise and buoyancy which I am carrying forward to date. Am still livid at my dim-witted retort in the judge’s question round where I inaugurated the centralized AC plant , appointed 20 faculty members and built an auditorium for Aurora, as the director of IIITM 10 years from then. Nonetheless, I regard the runners-up title in a personality contest in my very first year at college as one of my foremost achievements.

Infotsav’04 rolled up and folded without any ruckus. Finally my second majors in IIITM dawned (SMEARING THE MOST TESTING TIMES IN MY TIMESTAMP…..
… quote ----- PERSONAL REASONS----- unquote)

As always the gushing and rushing moments… (did not have many but definitely the most notorious till date)

• A minor altercation with Akshay due to gross misunderstandings…… in the same inhalation, I’ll say he’s one of the most considerate friends I’ve made in IIITM….. I do not hesitate to share my intricate tribulations with him.

• I won’t state this explicitly, but the incident before the majors bore a tremendous brunt on my ethical dogma (I was always a proud person in this aspect before…). I must confess that it took me long to become conscious of the ignominy I had caused to my conscience and the affected persons.
Let me tell you, this incident and my suspension from college during my 3rd semester mark the most defining moments of traits…. I learnt to accept the cons within my character…. Moreover, learnt to confess my mistakes both intricately and externally.

CONFESSION seems to be synonymous with an effort to sever an obstinate pile, but all it takes is a humble acceptance of your blunders juxtaposed with an over-ride of your self-esteem. Once accomplished, life will take a drastic U-turn, it’ll seem as if it had never been better….. Please appreciate these views as they are penned out of experience.

8 comments:

desperado said...

well ur writings are just making me more excited about the coming semesters

just one request be a bit quicker in posting other sem

but one thing this post i guess was cleverly crafted hiding many things tht u have inside u


ths just my observation
keep the posts coming

johney said...

Life is beautiful, and more so after reading your piece of reminicense. An almost nostalgic feeling crept to me while reading this, and I remembered what life is all about, what it is to be actually alive.

And I was so happy that day of Aurora, to know that I know a person who is both great and humble.

I remember those moments, yes, those days, of life in IIITM in the 3rd semester. A wave of memory flooded my mind, it was quite a time, leaving fresh scars to an otherwise unblemished conscience.

Anonymous said...

i guess the next semester will b an interesting one to read.

that will definitely clear a lot of things that dhruv just wrote about

radiohead said...

hmm 2 nd sem. Well there wasnt anything special as such. Just tht we had the very first COLLEGE FEST of our life .. and we enjoyed it i guess .. though not at high levels ...

And certain incidents proved tht I was still childish whose decisions were drawn from others misguiding thoughts. newyaz its past .... and though i might have learned frm it .. but it seems so pathetic when u look down on it .. u only say :: " my god .. was tht ME ?? "

Sanjeev said...

@dhruv
well .. the crafting thing you said... thats because my blogs are read by my brother and bhabhi as well... hence it becomes inevitable to ensure that one needs to read between the lines surreptitously.
will be shortly writing the third semester..

@marut
aapne GH waale incident ko authentic batake mujhe dukhi kar diya.... anyways nice prank nonetheless

@johney
affirmative, that there's a clandestine difference between living and being alive.

@panwar
well mate... don't take this as insolence... but you did not get my inference regarding Confession.
"Other' misguiding thoughts"-- you're still on a lookout for a scapegoat!!!... its not something to be announced by beating the drums of the African Safari... its to be "felt within".... you've a long way to go....or probably very close but very reluctant to take the concluding steps.

radiohead said...

i never wish to scape the deeds tht i hav done .. be it good or bad. And i regret whtever i did till date .. and its not like i m searching for an escape goat. Things like :: " felt within " .. by a mere comment one cannot figureout whts inside me .. cause its all abt interpretations.

And abt :: " decisions were drawn from others misguiding thoughts " .. tht was said with another perspective in mind .. but neways .. ur right probably i m very close to it yet very reluctant in taking the concluding steps. it was nice to see this reply.. thanx

Anonymous said...

second semester ought to be among the toughest ones in our college life.it’s a time when v come out of the shadows of our seniors(more applicable to the boys) n strive to make a mark ourselves.it is quite possible that v may go astray..

u say that u developed some seriousness towards academics in the 2nd sem..i remember seeing u in the library often but what i also sensed then was that u were secluded from ur usual gang that was so affiliated with u in the 1st sem

well even i don’t remember much abt the second sem except the college fests..aurora was fun.atleast being in first year,it was exciting to be part a part of dance competition n fashion show.ya i remember the personality contest prominently..u noe u ran out of luck that day..but yes,whatever u won was more than just a runner’s up trophy,it was an achievement to cherish..
infotsav seemed way above my level..u remember the debugging contest??n also when v were told to conduct a quiz sort of thing for the public giving in reward measly India One coupons..

i noe that during second sem u were a kind of person who could be easily excited.thankfully now u don’t throw urself into fits of quarrel with your friends or otherwise

remember u once said that every event in life has a hidden meaning.it is upto us to comprehend it n use it as a lesson for paving way to our future
certain unpleasant and unwanted things do happen in life,n most of the time we cannot figure out what we have done until it is over..
but even this realization should come from within, it cannot be triggered by other people’s advice bcoz such incidents are also triggered in the same way.n everything cannot be justified
the worst thing in these cases is breaking of trust..well i’l not blame anybody for this bcoz i never expressed my trust explicitly
i appreciate ur humility though
a lot of positives have come along..now it is entirely futile to cling to the past.life is a one direction track,if u go back u can never go forward

johney said...

I have this nagging habit of commenting on the comments of my comments. And most of all when I want to continue some discussion ( not an argument, mind you ).
You wrote :
affirmative, that there's a clandestine difference between living and being alive.

A clandetine differece? Is that all? I have lived for so long a time ( you at least have the idea, whether you belived it or not ) yet the time that I feel alive was quite short.

Once I kept on living yet I forgot how to be alive. And a friend reminded me how being really alive means. I will recapitulate his words in as exact a manner as possible.

He told me that being alive means a lot lot more than the heart beating at the rate of 72bpm, the lungs contracting abd expanding in perfect harmony, theliver performing excellent and the breathing action happening without any discomfort. He defined being alive as...as to be so happening and so wanted and so loved not only by yourself but everyone around you....that all those 72 heartbeats in that single minute confess that he loves to beat for you...all those contractions and expansion of the lungs indicate that he's absolutely in love with you....and the liver feels he's drunk in the joy of being in you...and the breathing action is somewhere close to those whispering of the willows!

I think that is not a clandestine difference. Everyone knows it but they deny it. We deny that we are not alive.
Being alive is like being in love. The only difference is you don't need someone else to be alive.